Working full time and having a project alongside is tough, I didn't realise how tough until now. I'm just glad that creative activity is my number one motivator, otherwise, I would be struggling.
Late last month I had emailed Swansea university lecturers for a chance to meet them to see if I was able to do a masters. As soon as I had a response, I was at my desk planning and researching for this project. I loved how fast and easily I was picked up, and how eager I am to do what I love. Textiles. Everyday I think about the masters, and each day I am pushing myself and creating beautiful creations. Even to this day, I am on full motivated power, which has brought me to my experimentation stage in this project,
I have used techniques such as; fabric manipulation, lino printing, machine embroidery, collaging, silk painting, etc. To fit in all my experiments within my blog, and to keep it interesting, I will split my experimentation into 3 blogs for you all! So there is more to see and enjoy.
Here are a few experiments that I have created at the beginning of my sketchbook:
Here is my first page of my sketchbook; The left page is of my lino printing, and the right page is of layering lobster paintings using different scales.
On my lino page, I have printed onto different thickness of card as well as calico. To further develop my printing, I machine embroidered onto the calico to bring some texture into my work, I have created tight stitching creating a rough surface, this represents the top side of a starfish. I have also created loose stitching on top of the tight stitches to create a different, softer texture. Aesthetically and texture wise, I am pleased with this outcome. I will definitely be using this kind of technique within my designs, whether it be in a final product or even final fabric samples.
Looking at my lobster page. I feel like I have over crowded all the lobsters that have been layered on top of another. In the future, I would use the outlines of the lobsters, I believe that will be more effective because the background will be more visible (mark making).
Here is a page with sketches and quick drawings of shells. I used a variety of HB pencils to create the detailed sketch (top left), using my fingers to blend and smooth the surface, creating shadows where need be. For experimentation, I have machine embroidered on vanishing muslin to create a large shell, just like the sketch. I painted over the stitches after I washed the fabric off, it made the threads stiff just like I wanted it. This represents the hard shell. On the same page, I spent some time to weave using wool, felt, and various types of fabric. After I had finished my weaving, I machine embroidered on top, drawing the cartoon-like shell.
The reason why I have drawn cartoon-like sea creatures/treasures throughout my sketchbook, is because my target audience is all ages, so I was thinking about the children too. It's playful for them.
Here is a vibrant page of seahorses and turtles. This is one of my favourite pages due to the colours and how I've experimented! I've used ink to paint my seahorse then blown in different directions creating a playful aesthetic. I have also used metallic flakes to smooth down onto the seahorse painting for an elegant attribute to the sea creature. My true style to experimenting is neat, I am known to be a perfectionist; for me to be messy in this experiment was really out my comfort zone but I learnt to love that side. I didn't want to be careful anymore, I wanted to carry on being adventurous with my experiments because it creates the most beautiful patterns.
To experiment with my sea horse, I have fabric manipulated the body by creating a loose running stitch down the middle and then pulling the fabric in towards the centre. It has created a beautiful representation of the bumps on a real seahorse. The colourful background was done by ink painting on a thin piece of paper which seeped through to the cotton that wa s lying underneath.
On the right page of my sketchbook, I have drawn and water coloured my turtle. it is such a shame that I don't have the facility to transfer this painting onto fabric, like I would do on a heat transfer. I did however, mimic the patterns on the arms, using the technique of quilting. I have also created a sheet of simple circling using free machine embroidery. I made sure to have speed quite low so the stitches wont be curvy but straight sided. The machining looks like the shell of the turtle and I love the outcome!
On every page in my sketchbook I have added mark making that relates to the drawings I have created. These mark makings will be taken forward in my designs as tertiary designs.
Thanks for reading my blog today! I understand it was long but I hope my experiments inspired you all! I will be continuing my experiments blog very soon, keep an eye out!