Here we are, at my final experimentation post before I start designing! I am upset that my experiment stage will be closing to an end but excited that I can now start playing with patterns, colours and scales.
Let's start this blog post with my final sea creatures page in my sketchbook. This includes sharks experiments, a regular blue shark and a hammerhead shark.
My Hammerhead shark page shows a technique that I haven't done before. I have created a pattern with fine liners, watercolours and sharpies. It's a technique that I didn't personally like as it's messy however, I did surprise myself with how quickly I can just create mark makings and add layers of different motifs. As I have said before, I think messy creates the most interesting patterns, and that is the best part.
On my shark page I have tried to experiment with the string print technique. This is where you create a painted background on one card, doesn't matter what, then you lay down your string on another card however you like. You then take the painted card and place it on the string card, then press down applying lots of pressure but not smudging. This technique is effective with a heat press, but since I didn't have that kind of machine I used an iron instead. The outcome wasn't what I wanted but there was some kind of pattern going on... and I also burnt my carpet in the process! This experiment wont be used in my final outcome as I don't have the correct equipment for it.
When I had finished my main experiments, I began experimenting with backgrounds; I have created such mesmerising patterns using techniques such as bubbling ink, marbling, and fluid painting.
Bubbling ink isn't a technique I've used before but I can say it is so fun! The only downside I found was the fear of accidentally sipping the ink rather than blowing, but hey, i'm just silly. I created a double coloured effect and it's my favourite! I managed to see some of the sea creatures by looking closely at the bubbles, so I drew them on top of the experiment with an ink pen.
Marbling is my all time go-to experiment because every marble experiment is different to one another and I love the beauty of that. It's exciting every time I create a marble effect. Due to running out of marble ink I was only able to marble on card and not fabric. the effect that I got wasn't as strong as I wanted because I was using acrylic paints and corn starch for this experiment. I will be buying marble ink very soon so I can experiment this technique properly. On the right side of the page, I have machine embroidered on the card using normal thread but also woollen thread for variety of thickness.
On to the final experiment of this project, fluid painting. This is a technique that I have wanted to try for a very long time. I have seen it on youtube, pinterest, Instagram and was taken by its beautiful appearance each time. It's very similar marbling where each pattern is different due to the fluid. For this experiment, I used acrylic paints mixed with soap water, I poured different colours slowly into two different cups. once they were full, I flipped them upside down quickly on to a flat canvas then just as fast I picked the cups up letting the paints flow freely and over each other. This background will be used within my final project; not as a background but as borders or even filling in some patterns. It ties in greatly with the sea waves when crashing against each other. I am proud of this experiment as it came out just as I wanted, if not better!
I have very much enjoyed creating every single experiment in my sketchbook and I cannot wait to share my designing stage with you all! Stay tuned!
10/29/2022 11:17:28 am
Such bad nearly appear how allow. Stand near add he positive create science.
Leave a Reply.